Permit Specialist Supervisor
100 Hughes Rd.
Ph: (256) 772-5644
Fx: (866) 591-8740
Monday - Friday
7:00 am - 4:00 pm
Monday - Friday
7:00 am - 3:30 pm
The Permitting staff for the City of Madison ensures that all permits are issued correctly and in a timely manner. For accountability purposes, the Permitting Division can only accept and process permits until 3:30 pm each day.
***EFFECTIVE MARCH 1, 2017, THE PERMITTING DIVISION OF THE BUILDING DEPARTMENT WILL NO LONGER ISSUE FENCE PERMITS*** (Fences in the Historic District will still need approval by the Historic Preservation Commission)
Other responsibilities include:
Accepts and processes construction plans for departmental reviews
Accepts and enters inspection requests
Answers general questions about permits and at what point one is required
Verifies license requirements needed for each permit issued
Issues Certificates of Occupancy on residential and commercial structures
***EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 1, 2016, A MINIMUM OF 24 HOURS WILL BE REQUIRED FOR THE PROCESSING OF ALL CERTIFICATES OF OCCUPANCY.***
Permits are required for:
- All new single family structures. Please be familiar with your property's setbacks and easements before building.
- New commerical structures
- Additions to any structure (e.g., sunrooms, attached & detached garages, etc.)
- New storage buildings over 200 square feet; if you live in the historical district, you must still be approved for any size structure. If you are in the historical district, you must appear before the Historic Commission. Please complete the Historic Commission application and contact Sherri Williams at (256) 772-5638 for more information.
- Most alterations including new roofs, vinyl siding, window replacement, etc., require permits; a permit is not required for things such as interior wall paint and replacing carpet
- All electrical, plumbing, mechanical and gas work must be permitted
- Signs, as well as temporary event banners, must be permitted.
***EFFECTIVE MARCH 1, 2017, THE PERMITTING DIVISION OF THE BUILDING DEPARTMENT WILL NO LONGER ISSUE FENCE PERMITS.*** (Fences in the Historic District will still need approval by the Historic Preservation Commission)
If you are uncertain if the work you are about to begin requires a permit, please contact the Permitting division before construction begins.
For Tree Removal Permits, please contact Sherri Williams in the Planning Department at (256) 772-5638.
To obtain a business license within the City of Madison, please contact our Revenue Department at (256) 772-5654 or via email. You may also visit their webpage for additional information on contractor licensing.
Contact Madison Utilities at (256) 772-0253 to verify water impact fees if you are adding water using items to an addition or constructing a new building.